Saturday, February 5, 2011

The Essence of God

This morning was a rainy morning. I laid in bed, enjoying the warmth and quiet, and read for a bit while my husband and dog were snoring away. I read, "I am the essence of God." My immediate reaction was, "Wow. That's a bold statement. I don't think that I can claim myself to be the essence of the almighty God." But then I put the book down for a moment and started to think. What do I believe? I believe that I am God's creation. Is not my creation, such as this very blog, my essence? Isn't it what shows me? A painter paints his very essence when he paints a canvas. In that same way could I truly be the essence of God? I think I struggle with this because I am so often broken, unloving, selfish... How could the terrible me possibly be the essence of a perfect, loving, giving God? I don't think that I will come to an awakening in this post. I'm not even sure if I'll ever fully understand what it is that I'm talking about... all this essence business. But I have a lovely, calming feeling that God is taking me somewhere with this.

2 comments:

  1. Love this thought! (What were you reading?) I learned semi-recently through my Bible study that we are God's glory... pretty amazing! Humans are the only things in all creation that were made in His image.
    It's worth lots of thought & meditation & worship :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it was Eat, Pray, Love. haha...

    ReplyDelete