Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Signature of Jesus

One of my favorite authors of all time has been Brennan Manning. He has not failed to blow me away with his words. Today we decided to stay home from church for some quiet. Sometimes our lives get so crazy that we just don't seem to have time for quiet reflection. So that is what we did today - and we read. I picked up Brennan Manning's The Signature of Jesus and started to read. If I decided to write down each piece that is life-altering, I would eventually type out the whole work - so I will keep it to three points (maybe four).

Point 1: I LOVE Manning's definition of what the church should be - "the body of Christ with its face to the world, loving others regardless of religion or culture, pouring itself out in a life of service, offering hope to a frightened world, and presenting itself as a real alternative to the existing arrangement. 'The church that is worthy of the name is a band of people in which the love of God has broken the spell of demons and false gods which is now making a dent in the world.' I want neither the blood-n-guts religion that would make Clint Eastwood, not Jesus, our hero; nor a speculative religion that would imprison the gospel in the halls of academia; nor a noisy, feel-good religion that is a naked appeal to emotion. I long for passion, intelligence, and compassion in a church without ostentation, gently beckoning to the world to come and enjoy the peace and unity we possess because of the Spirit in our midst."

...Jesus, let me have this compassion. Let me be passionate for your word and your people. Grant me a longing for your spirit. Let my joy, and my peace be infectious.

Point 2: "I pray that you will be daring enough to be different, humble enough to make mistakes, courageous enough to get burnt in the fire, and real enough to help others see that prose is not poetry, speech is not song, and tangibles, visibles, and perishables are not adequate for beings signed with the blood of the Lamb."

"The Lord said to Abraham, 'Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.

"I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

Father - Let me be daring. Let me be humble. Let me be courageous. Let me remember what you said, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go" (Joshua 1:9). Grant me strength. Do not let me forget you.

Point 3: "The God of Abraham, who is the God and Father of Jesus Christ, is not a threat. The certainty that he wants us to live, to grow, to unfold, and to experience fullness of life is the basic premise of authentic faith. Yet my reluctance to pray the prayer of abandonment of Charles de Foucauld - 'Father, do with me whatever you want' - reveals that I am still in the iron grip of skepticism and fear: Letting God have at me may jeopardize my health, my reputation, and my security. He might strip me of my red suspenders and Rolex and send me off to Tanzania as a missionary. If he would just let me stay in the temple of my familiar, I would entrust myself to him wholeheartedly."

Savior, I do not know what plans you have for me, but help me to be unafraid. Allow me to receive the peace and grace I read about. Grant me faith.

"
Now faith is the confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for. By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead. By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: 'He could not be found, because God had taken him away.' For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. And without faith it is impossible to please God because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him..." (Hebrews 11:1-6).

No comments:

Post a Comment